“Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. Teach a man to sell his fish and he feeds his whole village. Teach the world to eat his fish. Share the extra fish with the hungry and change the world.”
When doTERRA was founded in 2008, the owners had a grand vision of seeing lives changed around the world by the power of essential oils. The name doTERRA actually means “gift of the earth,” and the founders of the company had it in their hearts to use their resources to empower individuals and communities, to spread the message of love, hope and prosperity and inspire a movement of hope and healing. This was done initially through sponsoring various charities, fundraisers and community projects but over the course of 4 years, it grew into something much bigger! In 2012, the Healing Hands Foundation was created with the vision of serving communities in need. They do this by partnering with organizations and doTERRA Wellness Advocates to offer hope to millions around the world.
The mission of the Healing Hands Foundation is to see lives freed of disease and poverty, and communities empowered with the tools needed to become self-reliant. Too many so-called humanitarian and charitable organizations pledge to stand for amazing causes and are successful in their fundraising efforts but the majority of the funds raised end up being used for advertisement, administration, and anything but the on-the-ground causes. What little money does actually make it to relief efforts ends up being distributed in temporary and sporadic hand-outs of food, clothing, etc. that may meet some immediate needs but does little to benefit these impoverished communities in the long-run.
The Healing Hands Foundation seeks to not only meet some of these immediate needs for food, shelter, water, and medical care, but they also partnered with Mentors International to provide micro loans to those who may not otherwise be granted loans or have the opportunity to start a business. This initiative provides hard-working entrepreneurs with small business loans and education to help them succeed in their business. These loans benefit individuals, families and communities through economic development.
Beyond providing micro loans, the Healing Hands Foundation also sponsors initiaves that Wellness Advocates are involved with in the areas of improving sanitation and providing access to clean drinking water, education, and healthcare. doTERRA has partnered with many communities through their coIMPACT sourcing initiatives and through these relationships, has been able to provide relief aid, create jobs, stimulate economic development, and most importantly elevate communities out of poverty and desperate need. Here are some of the initiatives that doTERRA’s Healing Hands Foundation has been involved with (sourced from doterra.com):
- Bulgaria Lavender and Melissa Project – In the area where doTERRA sources Lavender and Melissa essential oils, the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation has partnered with Esseterre Bulgaria to support the Social Teahouse. The Social Teahouse is a Bulgarian social enterprise dedicated to educating and mentoring young individuals who were raised in one of the numerous orphanages in Bulgaria. This organization works to create equal opportunities and help develop an independent lifestyle for children in Bulgaria as they age out of the orphanage system. Children receive personal and professional education to help them with social skills and job training, as well as access to internships, networking, and job opportunities that will greatly assist them as they leave the orphanage.
- Guatemala Cardamom Center – In the Polochic region of Guatemala where doTERRA sources Cardamom essential oil, the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation funded the construction of the Sika’abe Training Center. This center works to break the cycle of poverty by teaching skills such as construction, agriculture, and hospitality in courses that are government certified. Through classes and training, students in the programs are able to receive certification for these skills to help them as they enter the workforce, or even go back to their local communities to share the knowledge that they’ve learned. To create this education center, the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation partnered with CHOICE Humanitarian. Additional projects by this partnership in Guatemala have included providing vented stoves for individuals in need, working with Days for Girls to educate and distribute reusable feminine hygiene kits, installing a doctor at the medical clinic, building a drying facility, and much more.
- Haiti Vetiver Water Project – For those living in the area where doTERRA sources its Vetiver essential oil, community members (usually children) would walk for up to four hours to collect the water they used each day. With a desire to increase water accessibility, the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation began drilling for water. While the drilling went on, a truck delivered water to community members daily. Two of the four wells drilled struck water and soon after, solar-powered pumps were installed. Not only does this community now have access to clean water, but the children are able to attend school instead of making the long walk to collect water! Student desks, teacher tables, and learning materials were also donated to the community’s school.
- Nepal Wintergreen Earthquake Relief – When the 7.8 earthquake struck Nepal in April 2015, doTERRA and our partner, CHOICE Humanitarian, were hard at work on a new Co-Impact Sourcing initiative for Wintergreen essential oil in Nepal. Thanks to already having a presence on the ground in the Lamjung and Dolakha Districts, support was immediately offered. Through a matching campaign between doTERRA and donors, almost $636,000 was raised for relief. This donation funded emergency relief supplies for the immediate needs after the earthquake struck and provided tarps and tents for temporary shelters, classrooms, homes, and earthquake resistant permanent homes. The doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation has also helped rebuild distillation units in Nepal to stimulate the economy and has funded the rebuilding of an eight-classroom high school, a ten-classroom secondary school, and latrines. Additionally, the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation donated funds to a community school in Thame and doTERRA essential oils were donated to a clinic in Baseri.
- Somaliland Frankincense Project – Clan leaders in Uurwayne, Somaliland, where doTERRA Frankincense essential oil is sourced, united with a goal to provide education for their children. The doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation was able assist in their educational efforts by making a donation towards a school constructed for boys and girls, ages 7 through 12, that offers classes to older children in the evening. Approximately 120 youth from 16 villages attend the school and it has been a great success. An additional four-classroom school was built to help 100 more students from four area’s clans have increased access to education.
The Healing Hands Foundation is what truly embodies the heart of doTERRA. Aside from the oils and amazing products, this is what sold me on this company. What I love is that 100% of the money raised and donated for the Healing Hands Foundation actually goes towards on the ground relief efforts. And not only are they meeting those immediate needs for the most basic provisions that we often take for granted, but they are also providing empowering solutions by helping to create jobs and stimulate economic growth, as well as by providing micro loans and education so that individuals can regain dignity and be able to provide for their communities.
If you are interested in donating to the Healing Hands Foundation, there are four ways to do so:
- PayPal Donations: Donations can be made through the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation PayPal website.
- LRP Donations: Donations can be made by adding a recurring monthly donation to a Loyalty Rewards Order.
- Purchase Donations: Donation can be made when purchasing doTERRA product.
- Rose Oil Lotion Sales: All proceeds of Rose Oil Lotion go directly to the doTERRA Healing Hands Foundation.